Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
Breaking into Med Sales
Posted by: LR (Host IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2006 08:44PM

As an avid reader of this board (first time poster) there appears to be some great experience, knowledge, and advice in the medical sales field on this message board. I usually refrain from posting on message boards in general but this appears to be a good one.

Anyways, I am looking to get into medical sales... had a few interviews that went well but haven't been moved along b/c of my limmited sales experience. I'm a recent college grad and former collegiate student-athlete (football)...been in copier sales with a Fortune 500 company for over a year and have been hitting the numbers...I realize that we all have to "pay our dues" and I might need to do stay in the current position for a bit longer. I feel like I'm doing some of the right things so far. As far as a getting into medical sales and the job search, what additional advice / suggestions would any of you make? Any feedback or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LR

Re: Breaking into Med Sales
Posted by: Marla (Host IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2006 10:07PM

LR,

Are you secure in the field of pure commission sales? Are you familiar with the world of physician's offices or the medical community in general?

I am the owner of an independent rep sub-contracting company and I am currently looking for reps for one of my lines in several parts of the country. If you are interested in talking to me further, please email me at thedynamicsgroup@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Marla

Posted by: Gary H. (Host IP Logged)
Date: September 26, 2006 10:55PM

Keep doing what you are doing for the time being. Copier sales is great sales experince, especially because it is a direct bang sell. As you know you must go for the throat and close. Medical sales is much softer.

The copier job is much easeier to get (in fact it is very easy to get) however; it is MUCH more difficult to be successful in copier sales. ie. direct band sell, cold calling, burnout etc.

Medical sales is a MUCH more difficult job to get; however it is much easier then office products once you get the job.

Stay with your present company as long as possible and continue interviewing for medical and you will land something eventually.

Your time in office products sales is well spent.

Posted by: Michael Lyons (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 05, 2006 01:00PM

I am currently the director of North Florida and South Georgia for Golfcart Marketing. I have very successful at selling our concept to the golf courses, but haven't realized the type of income I was expecting because of advertising logistics of the company, and would like to break into selling medical devices. My sales experience is somewhat limited, because prior to this I palyed professional baseball for 10 years and am getting a late jump on real world experience.

What advice could you give to me to break into the medical device field? I don't mind starting at the bottom and working my way up. I am highly motivated and always like to be on top.

Mike in Florida

Posted by: scott (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:56AM

Our program will allow you to continue in your current field while building up your client base with our medical product line. Once you have established the customer's that you need you could then move into full time with us. Most reps will be making between $10,000 to $25,000 per month once full time. If this interest you email me back.

Scott Jordan
scott@goemr.com

Posted by: D-Marie (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2006 12:06AM

Is there a job opening in the area of diet and disease control in sales?
I have experience working in weight loss centers as a counselor ( A.S. degree ); environment not what I look for to advise people professionally on dietary programs. Also, have had several years experience in event marketing as a sales rep. for companies that provide high profile products and services to the consumer in the retail store environment.

Posted by: David Piro (Host IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2009 03:47PM

Scott,

This is my 1st time to visit this board. I am looking for some knowledge, and advice in the medical sales field. I realize it is not an easy field to break into, but am willing to earn my way in.

I have twelve years experience as an Area Director, General Manager, and Equity Partner of startup and turnaround operations. In my most recent position I had the opportunity to successfully lead over 850 General Managers, Managers and Team members. I am confident in my ability to build rapport with people and build lasting client relationships. I would love to send you my resume and see what you think.

Im confident in my ability with startup positions and would love to hear more about the responsibilities this position would entail. Please feel free to call(972-983-6070) or email me back, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
David Piro

Posted by: MRE (Host IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2009 11:50PM

may be interested, please email me with some more information...thanks

reid53@comcast.net

Posted by: Steve Fox (Host IP Logged)
Date: August 14, 2009 03:27PM

Scott,
I recently saw your post on the Healthcare Sales and Marketing site about your company and the potential starting out and going fulltime. I've recently left the mortgage business. I'm Looking for a medical sales position and what you said was interesting. Can you send me more information about your company. I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

The mortgage business has developed very many disciplines that are transferable to medical sales. The biggest thing I'd bring is a disciplined work ethic. Additionally, could I forward my CV for your review.
Thanks
Steven Fox
Scott,
I recently saw your post on the Healthcare Sales and Marketing site about your company and the potential starting out and going fulltime. I've recently left the mortgage business. I'm Looking for a medical sales position and what you said was interesting. Can you send me more information about your company. I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

The mortgage business has developed very many disciplines that are transferable to medical sales. The biggest thing I'd bring is a disciplined work ethic. Additionally, could I forward my CV for your review.
Thanks
Steven Fox
310-365-8592

Posted by: Steve (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:15PM

Maria,

25 years in sales but going out on my own.

I have some good capital lines but need some residual.

Can i help you drive some business in Northern IN?

You would see impact right away.

Thanks so much,

Steve

Posted by: Sales Manager (Host IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2009 01:21PM

LR,

My background is 31 years of medical device experience in territory sales, regional management, consulting assignments, and have my own Medical Device Company. 50% of my careers has been with Fortune 100 Medical Device Firms.

Your copier experience will serve you well. If you are in the top 10% - 20% regionally or nationally within your Fortune 500 Copier company you should be ready for the device industry soon.

Where are you located?

SM