Healthcare Industry News: joint replacement
News Release - March 5, 2008
Stryker Launches Triathlon(R) PKR and Unveils the Industry's First Complete Knee System with X3 Advanced Bearing TechnologySAN FRANCISCO, MARCH 5 (HSMN NewsFeed) -- Stryker Orthopaedics, the maker of the Triathlon Knee System, the industry's fastest-growing total knee replacement system worldwide, today announced the addition of Triathlon PKR, a partial knee resurfacing system, to the Triathlon Knee System family.
"Triathlon PKR with X3 is a great addition to the Triathlon Knee family, which allows surgeons to treat the unique needs of each patient and provide them with a personalized solution," said Mike Mogul, President, Stryker Orthopaedics.
Triathlon PKR is the industry's first partial knee resurfacing product that utilizes Stryker's X3 advanced bearing technology, which has demonstrated up to a 96 percent decrease in wear in laboratory testing compared to competitive premium bearing surfaces in total knee replacements.(1)
Potential benefits of partial knee resurfacing include a quicker operation and a shorter hospital stay-with the procedure in some cases being performed on an outpatient basis (<24 hours)-as compared to a total knee replacement.(2) With Triathlon PKR, less bone is removed and there is often less trauma to soft tissue during surgery, which may leave the patient with a more natural feeling knee than with a total knee replacement.(3) The device is also anatomically shaped and designed to enable surgeons to use the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques, which may result in a smaller scar for the patient.
Also unveiled today is Stryker's Triathlon TS Revision System, which is designed to provide Triathlon performance in a streamlined revision procedure. The intuitive and evolutionary design is based on the Triathlon Primary System and millions of Stryker knee implantations. The Triathlon TS Revision System is designed to provide improved motion(4), better fit(5) and the potential for greater implant longevity(6)(7).
The Triathlon TS Revision System is also the only revision knee system with X3 bearing technology and "post preservation features," which aid in alleviating the stresses typically exerted on a stabilizing post in a revision setting.
Stryker will be showcasing its Triathlon PKR and TS Knee Systems at the 2008 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting in San Francisco, March 4 through March 8 at booth #4946.
Stryker Corporation is one of the world's leading medical technology companies with the most broadly based range of products in orthopaedics and a significant presence in other medical specialties. Stryker works with respected medical professionals to help people lead more active and more satisfying lives. The Company's products include implants used in joint replacement, trauma, craniomaxillofacial and spinal surgeries, biologics, surgical, neurologic, ear, nose & throat and interventional pain equipment and endoscopic, surgical navigation, communications and digital imaging systems, as well as patient handling and emergency medical equipment. For more information about Stryker, please visit the company web site at www.stryker.com.
(1) Stryker Orthopaedics Test Report: 06-013.
(2) www.medscape.com/viewarticle/418891 Orozco, Fabio Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Orthopaedic Course Report Contemporary Techniques in Total Hip & Knee Arthroplasty CME June 8 - 11, 2000, Nisswa, Minnesota
(3) Newman, John H. Unicompartmental Knee Replacement, The Knee, 7 (2000), pp. 63-70.
(4) D'Lima, D., Chen, P., Kester, M., Impact of Patellofemoral design on Patellofemoral Forces and Polyethylene Stresses JBJS 2003: 85:85-93.
(5) Hitt K, Shurman JR 2nd, Greene K,McCarthy J,Moskal J, Hoeman T,Mont MA. Anthropometric measurements of the human knee: correlation to the sizing of current knee arthroplasty systems. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85-A Suppl 4:115-22.
(6) Tsao, A.,Mintz, L., et al. Failure of the Porous-Coated Anatomic Prosthesis due to severe polyethylene wear JBJS vol. 75-A, No. 1 January 1993.
(7) Stryker Test Data RD-03-041 and RD-04-027.
Source: Stryker Orthopaedics
Issuer of this News Release is solely responsible for its
Please address inquiries directly to the issuing company.