Healthcare Industry News: drug-eluting stent
News Release - May 20, 2008
MIV's Stents Subject of Two Live Cases and Several Presentations at EuroPCRATLANTA--(HSMN NewsFeed)--MIV Therapeutics, Inc. (OTCBB: MIVT ) (Frankfurt: MIV ) (“the Company”), a leading developer of next-generation coatings and advanced drug-delivery systems for cardiovascular stents and other implantable medical devices, today announced that its VESTAsync™ polymer-free nanoscale microporous hydroxyapatite drug-eluting stent was included in several presentations and two live cases, including a live, 12-month patient follow-up, at EuroPCR08 last week in Barcelona. EuroPCR is the official congress of the European Association for Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions.
Presentations of MIV Therapeutics’ products and technology were as follows:
- Alexandre Abizaid, M.D., Ph.D., Chief of Coronary Intervention of Institute Dante Pazzanese of Cardiology in Sao Paulo, Brazil did a live satellite case showing 12-month follow up of a patient from the VESTAsync I first-in-man study. Using angiography, Intravascular Ultrasound and OCT, or optical coherence tomography to image the artery, Dr. Abizaid reported excellent results which showed complete stent coverage, or complete healing.
- Andrea Abizaid, M.D., also of Institute Dante Pazzanese of Cardiology in Sao Paulo co-chaired the session entitled Glimpse into the future: new drug-eluting stents and discussed the VESTAsync I results in her talk.
- Dr. Patrick W. Serruys, Professor of Interventional Cardiology at the Interuniversity Cardiological Institute of the Netherlands co-chaired the sessions entitled Glimpse into the future: new drug-eluting stents and moderated a live satellite case implanting MIV’s VESTAcor stent, which is the company’s polymer-free nanoscale microporous hydroxyapatite coated stent.
- MIV’s technology was also featured in a talk on new stent coatings by Professor Wim J. van der Giessen of Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Dr. Mark Landy, president and chief executive officer of MIV made a presentation at the Innovative and Emerging Technologies session and discussed the excellent nine-month data from the VESTAsync first-in-man clinical study first presented in March at the American Cardiology Congress.
About MIV Therapeutics
MIV Therapeutics is developing a next-generation line of advanced biocompatible coatings for passive and drug-eluting applications on cardiovascular stents, as well as for a broad range of other implantable medical devices. The Company's ultra-thin coating formulation is designed to protect surrounding tissue from potentially harmful interactions with bare metallic stents. This coating platform is derived from hydroxyapatite (HAp), an organic material that has demonstrated excellent in vivo safety and biocompatibility. Hydroxyapatite is a porous material that makes up the bone mineral and matrix of teeth, and is widely used today as a bone substitute material and for coatings on implantable fixation devices in orthopedic, dental and other applications. The Company's novel polymer-free drug-eluting technologies based on HAp could also provide an attractive alternative to current polymer-based drug-eluting coatings on the stent market, which have been associated with undesirable effects. The Company's drug-eluting coatings are additionally designed to suit a broad range of implantable medical devices that could benefit from highly customizable drug release profiles. MIV Therapeutics has a Collaborative Research Agreement with the University of British Columbia and has received a government grant for its research program on the “Development of Novel Drug Eluting Composite Coatings for Cardiovascular Stents,” under the National Research Council-Industrial Research Assistance Program. Under this sponsorship, the Company is expected to complete its drug-eluting research and development program and to reach product commercialization. MIV's intellectual property portfolio includes patents held by the University of British Columbia and exclusively licensed to MIV. Key patent applications filed simultaneously in various countries around the world further protect the commercial exclusivity of MIV's inventions in the global marketplace. For more information, please visit www.mivtherapeutics.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters discussed in this press release are forward-looking statements. Such statements are indicated by words or phrases such as “proposed,” “expected,” “believe,” “will,” “breakthrough,” “significant,” “indicated,” “feel,” “revolutionary,” “should,” “ideal,” “extremely” and “excited.” These statements are made under “Safe Harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements and are subject to risks and uncertainties including, without limitation, the closing of the Share Purchase Agreement, the ability of the Company to raise sufficient funding and to continue to develop its various business interests as presently contemplated. See the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission including, without limitation, the Company's recent Form 10-K and Form 10-Qs, which identify specific factors that may cause actual results or events to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements.
Source: MIV Therapeutics
Issuer of this News Release is solely responsible for its
Please address inquiries directly to the issuing company.