Healthcare Industry News: IMRT
News Release - October 28, 2009
Elekta Demonstrates Continued Leadership in Image Guidance at 2009 ASTRO Annual MeetingCHICAGO, Oct. 28 -- (Healthcare Sales & Marketing Network) -- At the 51st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO), November 1 - 5 in Chicago, Illinois, Elekta will showcase new tools that demonstrate the IGRT-pioneer's continued leadership in oncology imaging. Highlights include Intuity(TM)*and Symmetry(TM)* advanced image-guidance solutions that build upon the company's existing expertise.
"We are proud to once again introduce practice-changing innovations in imaging that demonstrate Elekta's continued leadership in IGRT," says Tomas Puusepp, President and CEO of Elekta. "Clinicians have long understood that Elekta will provide them with intelligent tools that enhance their workflow and patient's experience and now our collaboration with research partners has resulted in two new imaging products, Intuity and Symmetry."
Intuity, Elekta's next release of IGRT software, will allow clinicians to understand continuous changes in the positional relationships of both tumor and healthy tissues at the time of treatment. For the first time, this unique innovation will allow accurate patient repositioning to ensure target coverage without inadvertently placing organs at risk into the beam path.
Symmetry will be the next generation of image guidance, creating new solutions for motion management. This unique and patented innovation will allow clinicians to accurately quantify the set-up changes required to accommodate 'baseline shifts' (tumor path changes between treatments). Symmetry's use of anatomically correlated guidance is an alternative to gating and offers significantly shorter treatment times with less set-up complexity.
Other meeting highlights
On the show floor, Elekta also plans to highlight innovations that help clinicians deliver superior cancer care:
- In celebrating the production of their 2,000th digital linear accelerator, Elekta will unveil a sixth-generation digital treatment control system, Integrity(TM)**. Taking advantage of a complete re-engineering into the LynX OS platform, Integrity adds to its reputation for efficiency and reliability; MLC interdigitation, continuously variable dose rate for VMAT and enhanced virus protection.
- Elekta Infinity, a premier digital linear accelerator optimized for Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT). With its unique multi-arcing capabilities, Infinity delivers unmatched dose conformance, treatment speed and ultra-low dose safeguards and is the only fully integrated treatment system that allows personalization of imaging and treatment workflows.
- MOSAIQ(R) 2.0 , a comprehensive oncology charting solution that increases productivity, elevates efficiency and facilitates high-quality patient care. Complete with new connectivity, new functions and database enhancements, while preserving the user interface, MOSAIQ supports the entire cancer team by uniting diverse systems and devices.
- Monaco(R) with VMAT, a next generation IMRT treatment planning system that helps make the planning process easier, more straightforward and clinically reliable. With reduced planning time and increased clinical throughput, Monaco with VMAT optimizes single or multiple non-coplanar arcs simultaneously, providing the flexibility and control needed for complex treatment plans.
- Extend(TM), a new stereotactic treatment program that lets neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists apply the power and precision of Gamma Knife(R) surgery to a broader class of targets in the head and neck. Now available in the United States, Extend for Leksell Gamma Knife(R) Perfexion(TM) includes a re-locatable frame and support for fractionated treatments, which provides cross functional advantages in SRS and SRT for neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists.
"Everyone attending ASTRO and the ROUM will recognize how the Elekta Group, including Impac and CMS Software, has moved forward with a shared vision to deliver advances that help patients live longer, better lives," says Jay Hoey, President and CEO of Elekta North America. "In addition, customers will see how this shared vision is evolving into intelligent solutions they can easily integrate into their clinics."
Events held in conjunction with ASTRO
In addition to the Users Meeting, Elekta plans to host the following events:
- Daily clinical presentations, Sunday, November 1 - Tuesday, November 3 at Elekta booth 2501. For a complete speaker schedule, visit www.elekta.com/astro_presentations
- Halloween Charity Bash, Saturday, October 31 from 7:30 - 11:30 p.m. at Union Station Chicago, 225 South Canal Street. For additional information, visit www.elekta.com/astroevents
- Investor Meeting, Tuesday, November 2 from noon - 2 p.m. at the Hilton Hotel, Marquette Room, 720 South Michigan Avenue
**Integrity is a works in progress requiring 510(k) review and not yet available in the U.S.
Elekta is a human care company pioneering significant innovations and clinical solutions for treating cancer and brain disorders. The company develops sophisticated, state-of-the-art tools and treatment planning systems for radiation therapy and radiosurgery, as well as workflow enhancing software systems across the spectrum of cancer care.
Stretching the boundaries of science and technology, providing intelligent and resource-efficient solutions that offer confidence to both healthcare providers and patients, Elekta aims to improve, prolong and even save patient lives, making the future possible today.
Today, Elekta solutions in oncology and neurosurgery are used in over 5,000 hospitals globally, and every day more than 100,000 patients receive diagnosis, treatment or follow-up with the help of a solution from the Elekta Group.
Elekta employs around 2,500 employees globally. The corporate headquarter is located in Stockholm, Sweden, and the company is listed on the Nordic Exchange under the ticker EKTAb. For more information about Elekta, please visit www.elekta.com.
Issuer of this News Release is solely responsible for its
Please address inquiries directly to the issuing company.