Healthcare Industry News: cataract
News Release - March 28, 2011
Abbott Introduces Micro-Implantation Cataract SuiteComponents Designed to Help Improve Patient Outcomes in cataract Surgery
ABBOTT PARK, Ill., March 28, 2011 -- (Healthcare Sales & Marketing Network) -- Abbott (NYSE:ABT ) announced today that it has introduced a Micro-Implantation cataract Suite designed to help improve cataract procedure outcomes and safety.
The Micro-Implantation cataract Suite, featured at the American Society of cataract and Refractive Surgery Symposium and Congress in San Diego, enables the surgeon to perform an entire micro-surgical procedure, which can reduce surgically induced astigmatism, provide a safer intra-operative environment, and promote faster healing and visual recovery.
This advanced form of cataract surgery is performed using a micro-incision, which is smaller and therefore may provide added patient safety. During the procedure, the cataract is removed through the micro-incision, and a foldable intraocular lens (IOL) is inserted into the eye.
"The launch of Abbott's Micro-Implantation cataract Suite represents another key advancement toward better patient outcomes in cataract surgery," said Roger Steinert, M.D., chairman of ophthalmology, University of California, Irvine. "The combined benefits of Abbott's market-leading products are even more prominent now that they are delivered throughout a complete micro-implantation procedure."
The Micro-implantation cataract Suite consists of five separate components, each designed to maximize the benefits of the micro-implantation procedure. The components include:
* The new UNFOLDER® Platinum 1 Series Implantation System which enables micro-implantation of the TECNIS® 1-Piece family of intraocular lenses (IOLs);
* The market-leading TECNIS 1-Piece family of intraocular IOLs which are implanted in a patient's eye after the removal of the natural lens that has become clouded by a cataract;
* Healon® brand viscoelastics (Healon, Healon GV®, Healon 5®), clear ophthalmic viscosurgical device (OVD), trusted for more than 30 years for use as a surgical aid in cataract extraction, intraocular lens (IOL) implantation, corneal transplant, and glaucoma filtration surgery;
* WHITESTAR Signature® Phacoemulsification System, a leading-edge technology ultrasonic device that emulsifies and extracts a cataractous lens using less heat and turbulence and fusion fluidics to optimize outcomes; and
* Surgical accessories designed specifically for micro-implantation procedures.
Abbott is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals and medical products, including nutritionals, devices and diagnostics. The company employs nearly 90,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.
Abbott's news releases and other information are available on the company's Web site at www.abbott.com.
Issuer of this News Release is solely responsible for its
Please address inquiries directly to the issuing company.
Related News ItemsAbbott Expands Peripheral Vascular Offerings with Acquisition of Walk Vascular, LLC
Abbott's Amplatzer(TM) Amulet(TM) Device Approved by FDA to Treat People With Atrial Fibrillation at Risk of Stroke
Abbott's FreeStyle(R) Libre 2 iOS App Cleared in U.S., Providing a Seamless Digital Experience to Simplify Diabetes Management