Healthcare Industry News: continuous glucose monitor
News Release - February 13, 2014
Medtronic Begins Distribution of i-port Advance(R) Injection Port Device for People with DiabetesDistribution Rights Broaden Medtronic`s Diabetes Management Solutions to Include Injection Therapy Assistance
MINNEAPOLIS - February 13, 2014 --(Healthcare Sales & Marketing Network)--Medtronic, Inc. (MDT) has begun distribution of i-port Advance® as part of a continued focus to provide meaningful therapy management solutions for people with diabetes. i-port Advance can be used for people on insulin injection therapy who want to administer insulin conveniently while eliminating the need to puncture the skin with each dose of medication. i-port Advance injection port is cleared by the FDA and indicated for patients who administer multiple daily subcutaneous injections of physician prescribed medications, including insulin.
i-port Advance provides a safe, effective, and easy way for people with diabetes to administer insulin, especially those on injection therapy who have needle-related bruising and scarring, pain and discomfort, or who experience anxiety from injecting their diabetes medications. i-port stands for injection port and it is a three-day-wear device that people with diabetes inject into instead of injecting directly into the skin. Because the device may remain in place for up to 72 hours, i-port Advance accommodates multiple drug injections without the discomfort of additional needle sticks.
"Adding i-port Advance to our diabetes solutions portfolio puts us in a stronger position to support a broader group of people with diabetes - including those currently on injection therapy - with tools to help simplify diabetes management routines," said Jeff Hubauer, vice president and general manager of insulin delivery for the Diabetes business of Medtronic.
Benefits of i-port Advance include:
- Ease of use and greater comfort
- i-port is a small, circular, low profile device, about the size of a quarter, that stays on the skin like a bandage.
- Each i-port Advance can be used for three days, during which time the person with diabetes injects their insulin into the port instead of directly into the skin.
- With only one skin puncture every three days (when applying a new device) instead of multiple punctures each day, i-port Advance reduces bruising, pain and scar tissue while promoting healing.
- Each i-port Advance comes with a disposable serter (insertion aid) that provides nearly pain-free application of i-port to the skin.
- The device requires minimal training.
- Wide user compatibility
- i-port Advance may be used on a wide range of patients, including adults and children.
- The device is indicated for use with both insulin pens and syringes.
Healthcare professionals and people with diabetes interested in learning more about the product should contact Medtronic`s customer center at 800.646.4633 or online at www.i-port.com.
About the Diabetes Business at Medtronic
The Diabetes business at Medtronic (www.medtronicdiabetes.com) is the world leader in advanced diabetes management solutions, including integrated diabetes management systems, insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose monitoring systems and therapy management software, as well as world-class, 24/7 expert consumer and professional service and support.
Medtronic, Inc. (www.medtronic.com), headquartered in Minneapolis, is the global leader in medical technology - alleviating pain, restoring health and extending life for millions of people around the world.
Any forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties such as those described in Medtronic`s periodic reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results.
 IPA Wear Trial. Patton Medical 2011. PTN: 0909.2. Data on File.
Issuer of this News Release is solely responsible for its
Please address inquiries directly to the issuing company.