Healthcare Industry News: SENSEI
News Release - December 19, 2014
Hansen Medical Announces Key Developments in Global Expansion StrategyCompany Signs Exclusive Distribution Agreement With AB Medica s.p.a.; First Magellan(TM) Robotic System Installation Completed in Middle East Region
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(Healthcare Sales & Marketing Network) - Hansen Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ: HNSN), a global leader in intravascular robotics, today announced key recent developments in the company's global expansion strategy. Hansen and AB Medica s.p.a today announced an exclusive distribution agreement for Magellan™ and Sensei® Robotic Systems in Italy. In addition, the company's exclusive distribution partner in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates, AFYA Medical Group, completed the first end user hospital installation of a Magellan system in the Middle East, at King Fahd Hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in October.
"We are pleased to enter into this comprehensive distribution partnership with AB Medica, Italy's largest medical technology distributor; and for the progress we are making with our other international partners such as AFYA," said Cary Vance, Hansen Medical President and CEO. "Coupled with our announcement in July of an exclusive distribution agreement with Adachi Co., Ltd. in Japan, we feel good about the foundation we are laying for development of a strong global market for our intravascular robotics technologies."
Hansen Medical's intravascular robotic technologies are designed to deliver accurate robotic catheter control and stability during a wide variety of endovascular and electrophysiology (EP) procedures. Both the Magellan and SENSEI Robotic Systems provide for accurate navigation capabilities while allowing the physician to be seated comfortably away from the radiation in a centralized, remote workstation.
About the Magellan™ Robotic System
Hansen Medical's Magellan Robotic System is intended to be used to facilitate navigation in the peripheral vasculature and subsequently provide a conduit for manual placement of therapeutic devices. The Magellan Robotic System is designed to deliver predictability, control and catheter stability to endovascular procedures. Since its commercial introduction in the U.S. and Europe, the Magellan Robotic System has demonstrated its clinical versatility in many cases in a broad variety of peripheral vascular procedure types in centers across the U.S. and Europe. The Magellan Robotic System offers several important features including:
- Provides predictability, control and catheter stability as a physician navigates a patient's peripheral vasculature and then provides a conduit for manual treatment of vascular disease with standard therapeutic devices.
- Is designed to enable more predictable procedure times and increased case throughput potentially allowing hospitals to improve utilization within their vascular business line
- Employs an open architecture designed to allow for the subsequent use of many therapeutic devices on the market today.
- Is designed to potentially reduce physician radiation exposure and fatigue by allowing the physician to navigate procedures while seated comfortably at a remote workstation away from the radiation field and without wearing heavy lead as required in conventional endovascular procedures.
- The Magellan 9Fr Robotic Catheter allows for independent, robotic control of the distal tip of two telescoping catheters (an outer Guide and an inner Leader catheter), as well as robotic manipulation of standard guide wires.
- The Magellan 6Fr Robotic Catheter allows for independent robotic control of two separate bend sites on a single catheter, as well as robotic manipulation of standard guide wires. This smaller catheter design may be preferred by certain physicians who prefer a smaller diameter vessel access site, or in procedures in smaller vessels.
SENSEI X Robotic Catheter System combines advanced levels of 3D catheter control and 3D visualization. This unique, state of the art technology has been used in over 15,000 patients, and is powered by a robotically controlled arm that allows for catheter navigation, stability and positioning within the patient's heart atria. The SENSEI X Robotic Catheter System, control catheters and accessories are intended to facilitate manipulation, positioning and control of Hansen Medical's robotically steerable catheters for collecting electrophysiological data within the heart atria with electro-anatomic mapping and recording systems, using specified percutaneous mapping catheters. The SENSEI System is powered by a robotically controlled arm that allows for catheter navigation and stability. The safety and effectiveness of this device for use with cardiac ablation catheters, in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias including atrial fibrillation, have not been established.
About Hansen Medical, Inc.
Hansen Medical, Inc., based in Mountain View, California, is a global leader in Intravascular Robotics, developing products and technology designed to enable the accurate positioning, manipulation and control of catheters and catheter-based technologies. The Company's Magellan™ Robotic System, 9Fr Magellan™ Robotic Catheter, Magellan™ 6Fr Robotic Catheter, and related accessories are intended to facilitate navigation to anatomical targets in the peripheral vasculature and subsequently provide a conduit for manual placement of therapeutic devices. The Company's mission is to enable Cardiac Arrhythmia and Endovascular Procedures and to improve patient outcomes through the use of Intravascular Robotics. Additional information can be found at www.hansenmedical.com.
"Artisan Extend," "Hansen Medical," "Hansen Medical (with Heart Design)," "Heart Design (Logo)," "Sensei," "Artisan," "Instinctive Motion," "Fine Force Technology," "IntelliSense" are registered trademarks, and "Magellan" and "Hansen Medical Magellan" are trademarks of Hansen Medical, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.
Source: Hansen Medical
Issuer of this News Release is solely responsible for its
Please address inquiries directly to the issuing company.