Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
New To business- looking for distributorship help/advice
Posted by: Alexis (Host IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:24PM

Someone who is established in the med device business recommended that I look for lines to pick up and start my own distributorship. I left the mortgage business recently (have B2B before that) and have 13 years of sales experience, awards, etc. Is this a realistic goal? How to go about researching best lines to represent and finding the lines that will allow someone new to the business to sell their products.

Any tips, especially from individuals who went this route themselves, would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Re: New To business- looking for distributorship help/advice
Posted by: Bill (Host IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2009 06:29PM

"Is this realistic"?

Anything is possible, however this will be a very, very tough road for you. Why? You have no medical sales experience, knowledge or contacts, so why would a company choose you to be their representative? At this point you do not even realize what you do not know, which is quite a bit, frankly.

Let me suggest an alternate strategy for you that would have a much higher success rate. Instead of trying to go straight to the "top" and be the principal in a distributorship/ Manufacturers Rep group, I would suggest that you seek out an existing group and become a sales rep for them to learn the business. Once you are successful at that, then you can run your own show if you choose. The really big advantage is that they will already have the lines, and can offer help, guidance and training until you know what your doing and can function on your own.

My strong advice...don't try this on you own to start out.

Posted by: Al Upton (Host IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2009 03:01PM

Please reply to my direct email at al@fhcusa.com if you are still looking. Where do you live.

Posted by: Doug (Host IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2010 07:49AM

Send me your contact info. I have a medical product line that is very easy to learn - Breast care, ostomy, urology, wound care.

Posted by: Rich (Host IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2010 10:07PM

Alexis:
If you are still looking for product lines, please e-mail me controlledstep@att.net and we can set up a time to discuss our product line and company.
Thank You

Rich

Posted by: Eric (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:54PM

Hello,
I'm looking to become a ISR as well and would like a product that will be easy to sell to help me break into the med. device world. I currently work for a DME supply company in Central New York and would like to break out on my own. Please feel free to contact me, it's epinkerton20@hotmail.com. I look forward to any advice as well!

Posted by: Helen (Host IP Logged)
Date: January 22, 2011 05:41PM

Hello Doug. I could sure use some assistance. I'm trying to break into the industry as well and I live in Richmond, VA. My background is very similar to hers and I have sent out tons of resumes with no responces. Very discouraging to say the least but I'm not giving up. Please contact me directly at hjoh774031@aol.com.

Thanks,

Helen

Posted by: Randy Wuehle (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2011 08:15PM

Please e-mail me if you are still looking at opportunities. We help health care providers get maximum reimbursements on their out-of-network claims. This market is wide open and it does not require much medical knowledge.

Randy
rwuehl@aol.com

Posted by: Oula Al-Dakkak (Host IP Logged)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:40AM

Hello,

Am a recent graduate from Rutgers University, got my masters degree in Biomedical Engineering with two years of medical devices sales experience, i would like to continue working in medical devices sales but as a distributor. please email me at ouladakkak@gmail.com if you are interested.

Oula