Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
have pharma experience & want to be independent!
Posted by: Sheri (Host IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2009 11:39AM

Ok, before anyone starts to shake their head, I know pharma isn't considered true sales, but I do have 2 years of b2b experience before pharma. So, please don't go there. I live in Bakersfield, CA and have great cntacts with hospital purchasing depts, docs and other special accounts. What is the best route to take to enter the independent medical sales field? What should I look for, what should I steer clear of? Thanks for your honest advice.

Re: have pharma experience & want to be independent!
Posted by: bill (Host IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:43PM

if you are any good at b-to-b selling then why did you go pharma? phara reps - most of them - cannot sell.....the key is being able to ask for what ever it is you want....can you do that? do you get intimidated by specialty docs?....can you speak to them like an equal?....do you dress smart and respectable?....do you look like a kid or do you look seasoned?....a doctor is not likely to listen to a rep unless he has some respect for that person or....he wants something else.......

Posted by: Carolyn (Host IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2009 03:28PM

If you truly want to become independent in the medical field, please email me.

Let me know your interests, your time schedule, your experience.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Posted by: Twana Holmes (Host IP Logged)
Date: May 16, 2009 08:59AM

Carolyn,

I reads someone else posting and also wanted to reply to your message. I live in the DFW area and really have strong considerations about being independent. I have been a phara rep for 9yrs, however have lived on commission sales (7yrs) previously before and know how to ask for business and close. I would be interested in any information you could share about transitioning. Currently have been downsized and looking for other opportunites. Would like to forward a resume

Sincerely,

Twana Holmes

Posted by: Vanese (Host IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2009 07:51PM

Our California based DME is looking for ISR's to market bone stim to orthopedic surgeons. Great earning potential of 35%. Do you have established relationships?

Posted by: Vanese (Host IP Logged)
Date: May 29, 2009 07:52PM

Our DME is looking for ISR's to market bone stim to ortho surgeons? Do you have any established relationships? Great earning potential of 35%.

Posted by: Doug Peterson (Host IP Logged)
Date: July 30, 2009 12:38PM

Hi Bill. Saw your reply to the pharma rep wanting to get into the business. You made a blanket statement with a qualification that 'most' pharma reps can't sell. While the 'sell' is not 'take an order' sell after closing, a pharma rep who gains market share with a product that does not have favorable formulary status has certainly 'sold' something with a number of doctors. And that's after walking away and having the impact show up later when you aren't present. I too will admit that some pharma reps don't 'sell' (below average people are in every industry), and certainly if your product is good with favorable formulary status, you're golden without having to do much. My point is that while I understand the reasoning and why hiring mgrs will profile to generate a manageable talent pool, don't underestimate pharma reps. To pharma reps trying to break into medical sales, keep the faith, work hard to overcome the preconceptions and show how you don't fit 'the profile'.

Posted by: Dave (Host IP Logged)
Date: August 31, 2009 11:03PM

Mr. Peterson,

Do you not realize that pharma reps (80%) of them are nothing more then lunch caterers 5 days a week which is 20 days per month. Yes, that is pathetic, but that is what 80% of them do 20 days per month. DELIVER FOOD ! ! !

I guess you are telling the 20% to have faith !!

Posted by: Brian (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2009 09:36AM

Carolyn,

Just affected by downsize of my company in Pharma, but prior to that I was in the Long Term Care arena for ten years. I started as an account manager and worked my way to Regional Manager managing the Sales and Operations to Nursing/Assisted living homes of various chains as well as mom and pops. Please contact me with any help or suggestions getting into medical supplies or biotech.

Sincerely,
Brian in NC

Posted by: Peter (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 19, 2009 12:00PM

Hi Sheri,
If you have good relationships in Gastro, Urology and / or derm please send me your resume. peter.mdssearch@gmail.com

Thanks,

Peter

Posted by: Roy Robertson (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2009 09:21AM

Sheri,

I am amazed at some of the responses you have received! It seems some folks feel strongly that Pharma Sales Reps are not really "sales reps". While many may be "order takers," there are those selling drugs in a very competitive environment, such as the Statin market for example.

I own two distributorships based in the Pacific Northwest. One focuses on products for disorders of the spine and the other sells products for the OR, Pain Management, Trauma and Interventional Radiology markets.

Our spine company represents the spine division of the largest pure play orthopedic company on the globe. I must hire sales reps that are "A-Players" or have the potential to be "A-Players." Two of our spine reps came from the Pharma industry. Both had been copier reps prior to taking a Pharma sales job. And, both took Phama sales jobs to get into the Healthcare Industry. While Pharma sales gave them exposure to the healthcare market it is their copier sales experience that helped them develop the skill sets one needs to be successful in any sales job.

If you are serious about being in medical device sales I suggest you invest in yourself and attend professional sales development training to sharpen your sales skills. A good place to start is the American Institute of Medical Sales. Many of the major device manufacturers use this firm for professional development training. They have a comprehensive training program for people who want to transition into medical sales.

I wish you much success.

Best,

Roy

Posted by: Sharbel abu fakhr (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2010 05:46AM

Personal CV Sharbel Abu-Fakhr

biomedical Technology Email:Bilo_cool@hotmail.com

Phone#+ 961 8 645385 Mobile #+96170382273

· Personal Data

Date of birth : June/29/1987.

Place of birth day : West-Bekaa,Kherbet Kanafar.

Country of nationality : Lebanon

Current Address : Achrafieh –Beirut-Lebanon.

Marital Status : Single.

· Education

Primary school :St-jean/west Bekaa-

Kherbet Kanafar{Brevet degree}

Secondary school :Officiel high school of Dekwanneh.

High school Degree : Life Science

University :American University of Science &

Technology in AUST-Achrafieh campus.

·

· Technical Skills

Microsoft office word-Excel-powerpoint-C++-Software softpharm -Internet..Omega system,Gap pos by gpcs sarl.Lisenced to purple concept s.a.l verion 1.0

· Work Experience

· Recent Job

.Previous Job 1

Job title : Pharmacien.

Company :Pharmacy Nancy.

Place :Nahr El Mot.

To : 1/05/2009.

.Previous Job 2

Job title : Cashier

Company :-Café des Lettres.

Place :Embassade de France.

To : 1/09/2008 .

Previous Job 3

e.g:2007 january- May Assistant coatch in fitness health club.

Previous Job4

opticien -optic haymour -sales ..... beirut -

pervious job5:

Assistant manager -purple concept s.a.l -Supermarket ,for 8 mounths.

Spoken Written Read

Arabic Fluent Fluent Fluent

French Good V. G V. G

English Good V. G V. G

E.g: Michigan Exam in English language has passed from USA (TOFEL).

Ø Personal interests Sports : Swimming - tennis –Football.

Ø Others: Reading- Computer &Technology>Knowledge above Biomedical instrumentation-bioSensors.

Ø Work experience is still nil, but I have done private tutoring to children of different ages.

Ø Despite my experience , I am motivated diligent and cooperative in a team.

Posted by: Pat Gannon (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 19, 2010 05:04PM

Sheri,

I think you might be an ideal candidate for a sales team that I am starting. I am seeking Pharmaceutical, Laboratory or Medical Device Representatives preferably with strong relationships with Dermatologists to sell a new, very soon to be FDA approved product for various forms of dermatoses. This is a very unique, first of its kind product with many advantages over current therapies. If selected you would be joining a very strong Independent Sales Organization that has a very lucrative commission only compensation plan. This eagerly anticipated product has outstanding safety and efficacy (Non-toxic, PH neutral) and has been used clinically in over 2 million patients outside the United States with no reported adverse events. This topical product kills numerous micro-organisms, fungal organisms and bacteria (MRSA, VRE) on contact.

This rare opportunity comes with the kind of support you expect from Big Pharma but without the micro-management. Exclusive large territories available in Northern California including San Francisco, San Mateo, San Jose, Marin Co, Oakland East Bay and Stockton.

To inquire about this opportunity please forward a resume and cover letter to pat@gannonmedical.com or fax to 1-916-489-5519. Thank you.

Posted by: Mike (Host IP Logged)
Date: April 21, 2010 12:35PM

PERFECT.

I have a spin-off distribution company, and you'll LOVE what we are selling.

Essentially it's DME equipment, but in fact, we are selling ancillary income to Chiropractors and docs.

It was on my short list today to find a rep in the Bakersfield area.

Let's talk.

Mike

Posted by: Eric (Host IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2010 08:08PM

I have some advise and maybe a position you would be interested in and supplementing your income. Please e-mail me for details.

Posted by: Rich (Host IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2010 10:19PM

Shari,
Are you still looking for product lines to sell? If you are, please e-mail @ controlledstep@att.net and we can set up a time to discuss our company and products.
We are located in the MidWest and looking for ISR's on the West Coast.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Rich

Posted by: Jaime and Neil (Host IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2011 11:56AM

Hello Sheri
We are a small company that want to grow
We are looking distributors for the U.S.A & Canada U.K
For the time being
Here's a little about our company
Design For Your Life
4810 Fourth Ave.,
Niagara Falls, On
(905)347-1404
designforyourlife@hotmail.com

Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce our company to you and your affiliates. Design For Your like is a relatively new flourishing Canadian based company. We carry medical privacy sleeves which encompass all medical privacy issues, such as trach covers, colostomy and ileostomy covers, urinary overnight and day bag sleeves as well as picc line cover sleeves. All of our products provide not only medical privacy but also provide an aesthetically appealing appearance with the sleek and comfort fitting design.

We have had much success with internet sales over the past four years and have contracts with various organizations in Canada and the U.S. , therefore; we have decided to contact various companies and organizations to carry our product line.

Please let us know who we can contact in your organization with more detailed information related to our products. We can be reached at designforyourlife@hotmail.com . Thank you for your time and we hope to hear from you soon. www.designforyourlife.com
Fax 1 905 356 3031 Phone 1 905 356 3031

Sincerely,

Jaime and Neil c/o Design For Your Life