Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
Breaking into Industry: W2 vs 1099
Posted by: CG (Host IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2010 03:07PM

Hello all. Recent college grad with a BS in Biomedical Sciences trying desperately to break into the industry. I've sent my resume out to numerous recruiters and job boards. One company responded to me yesterday. Its an independent contract position selling for American Imaging out of Atlanta, Ga. They sell spinal ultrasound devices, etc. The Distributor is looking for 3-5 reps in the Atlanta area and said the competition is actually fairly minimum but the commission is 9%. This legit? Also, I understand the major differences in W2 vs 1099 like benefits, car, insurance....but is the income potential more substantial and with taxes, can I deduct more?
If anyone has any other opportunities or know of anyone in the Atlanta area as far as recruiters and/or distributors....please advance.

-Regards,
Cory

Re: Breaking into Industry: W2 vs 1099
Posted by: Bill (Host IP Logged)
Date: September 13, 2010 11:56PM

Just some advice-
1099 vs employee

1099 independent contractors need to have multiple contracts with various entities -not just work as 1099 for one company- otherwise you are actually
an employee. IRS says income must be from various sources. 1099ers pay for all
their Medicare taxes (15% I believe is the total for 2010) -as an employee your employer will pay half- makes a big difference monetarily. Yes, you can deduct the moon- but remember when an employer in the future goes to check your past earnings- say for a new job- your social security earnings will be what he views and this will be very low if indeed you subtract any and all possible deductions- might be hard to ask for that big dollar job, Your social security retirement is based on your reported social security earnings- may not make a difference when you are young but sure will as you age as far as what you are entitled to.
At a young age- with no experience- a w2 is the way to go.

Re: Breaking into Industry: W2 vs 1099
Posted by: CG (Host IP Logged)
Date: September 15, 2010 09:34AM

Ok, thanks for the response and great info. I thought going 1099 would be a good way to get in since it's more difficult landing a W2 job, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open and keep networking. Thanks again.