Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
New Opportunity - What do you think?
Posted by: Reed (Host IP Logged)
Date: January 29, 2011 09:27AM

I am a licensed nursing home administrator. I was approached by an ortho surgical sales rep (independent contractor) asking if I was interested in working for him. I don't know anything about the industry;

I currently make a base salary of $100K with about $20K in incentives annually if I hit revenue targets; which I do every single month.

This offer to work as an ortho surgical sales rep comes because the current independent is expanding his horizons and he's looking for someone to train up.

Starting pay is $50K for the first year; he says it will take me that long to learn what he does: diagnosis, anatomy, bone, soft tissue, how to talk to surgeons, etc.

In two weeks I'll be heading to a day of cases with him to see the day to day. What questions should I be asking?

Appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Reed