Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
Looking for a Chance
Posted by: Christopher (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:10PM

I am a recent college graduate looking for a chance in the medical supplies/pharmaceutical sales business. I graduated Magna Cum Laude from the business school and completed all but 10 hours of the Pre-Med classes with a 3.72 GPA. I enjoy learning but do not want to go to Medical School because it is not my passion. I enjoy the healthcare industry, my father is a doctor, and I would like to apply my energy to a career in the Device/Drug sales sector. I do not have any relevant sales experience because I have been in school and it seems every opportunity requires experience. How can you get any experience if you can't get a job? It seems as if I'm in a continuous cycling, however, I will continue to apply energy until I break out of this cycle. I am in central KY and willing to relocate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. cjwest0@hotmail.com

Re: Looking for a Chance
Posted by: JohnCinSouth (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2005 04:49PM

Dear Chris,

You may not want to hear this, but I suggest using your father. You did not say what kind of physician he is, but he, or somebody in his office, has a whole stack of cards from all kinds of drug and device reps. Perhaps you could get somebody in his office to call these reps, tell them about your situation, and arrange a meeting between you and the rep. If you dad is a big prescriber of a particular drug, those reps especially will jump to help you. Getting to know these reps and finding out where the openings are who the hiring managers are is essentially the only way to break into the business. Responing to postings on places like Monster is virtually a total waste of time.

Re: Looking for a Chance
Posted by: Gary H. (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 10, 2005 05:04PM

I 2nd everything stated above. Good advice. Well stated.