Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
Attention: Medical Device Sales Recruiters/Reps
Posted by: Gina (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2004 11:36PM

Dear Recruiter or Rep, I am ready to be a tremendous resource to a top medical sales device company. My qualifications include a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Biology and 3-years towards a Ph.d. in Biology. With 6 years of teaching experience at the University level, I am computer savvy and able to convert complex technical information into captivating presentations. I thrive on group based goals, am a true team player and people person and am accustomed to giving weekly public speaking presentations. I have my own business with a fortune 500 company and have quickly climbed to rank in the top 20 out of 500 independent reps in the highly competitive Miami area - in a record breaking 5 months. I have also been recognized for being #3 and #8 in total sales volume out of over 1,800 indepedent reps throughout the southeastern U.S. to boot (And this is from no incentives or perks, and only 5-10 hours a week dedication- I shiver to think of what I would do when I am given an opportunity where financial reward is involved!) I currently reside in Miami, Fl, am 24, single and have a polished, fit, professional look. I am ready to relocate immediately and climb the ladder. A true saleswoman I would prefer a no-cap commission based career over salary security. I am ready to do what it takes, if it means being on call 24-hours or traveling 100% of the time. With a deep rooted love and understanding of science, a competitive sales drive, and dynamic teaching and presentation skills, and total dedication, I am ready to be a tremendous resource to a top medical sales device company. If you are seeking to recruit medical device sales, Please contact me directly at rlync001@fiu.edu or 757-560-1455.

Companies of Choice:

Medtronic
Johnson & Johnson
Guidant
Zimmer
St. Jude Medical
Stryker
Cochlear Unlimited
Boston Scientific

Re: Attention: Medical Device Sales Recruiters/Reps
Posted by: Jeff (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2004 10:57AM

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....slow down just a TAD.

Very good attitude and desire. I think you'll make it in to the industry given these traits. A couple points of advice though.

Many medical sales companies have unwritten policies (and inherent biases) against hiring people w/out medical device sales experience. Medtronic, Guidant, Boston Scientific...these would fall in to that category. This is not to say that people with zero experience don't get hired in to these organizations. It's just very RARE.

J&J is an exception to this rule, especially any of their Ethicon or Ethicon Endo divisions. They hire not only for the short term but also with an eye toward developing long term talent. Zimmer, on the other hand, has a lot of independent contractors working for them. If you make contact with an open-minded regional distributor you could strike something up that way too. This would also meet your wish of a 100% commission type opportunity.

You're going to need to be prepared for your interviews though. One red flag, ironically, is going to be the no doubt challenging work you've done toward a PhD. Most potential managers are going to wonder "what the hel* was she thinking?" and "is she going to get bored of medical sales right away and join the Peace Corps". PhD work and medical sales are not related in the slightest way. I know you may not agree but I don't recommend arguing that they are in the interview. If you feel you made a mistake heading down the road toward academia, just admit this. And have a good explanation to why you've come to desire a career in medical sales. Money is a good reason but should be a tangential focus to your answer, not the key point.

The other recommendation I have is that you measure your enthusiasm just a tad. It's great to have and necessary too but can be off putting at the same time. Measured doses!

Good luck and great success. I've been in your shoes. I was bored out of my mind in a well paying job in food product management before I made it in to medical sales. It took a LOT of time and a lot of contact development but now I'm working for the company at the top of your list.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged.

Jeff

Date: October 25, 2004 04:01PM

Thank you so much Jeff for the advice - You hit the nail on the head with the Ph.d. background. why I am seeking a career change is why I think I would be great for the position - I'll admit it - I have been working on the ph.d. for 3 years and have finished ALL of my classes and PASSED my candicy exam - I love science, to read about it, teach it, learn new ideas, however this is where it has come to a dead end - as I started working full time on the research aspect, about a year ago - I realized quickly that - I don't have the personality to sit at a microscope 12 hours a day, and am going absolutely out of my mind! I grew up with entrepeneurial parents and worked with them in the insurance industry throughout highschool and undergrad, so I do have a pretty good concept of the business world. I have always wanted to venture that route and have thought about starting my own insurance buisness, but hoped I could combine that desire with my love of science one day. I am definetly not at a job where I am able to utilize all my talents. I crave the world outside academia, which is why I started my own business as an outlet to my creative, extroverted and entrepeneurial personality and have done well with it. I am around scientists and professors daily, and realize I don't have anything in common with these folks, personality, priorities, etc! Gotta get out, ASAP. I will look into the J and J op. I am also looking into pharmaceuticals since that would give me a background. I am willing to work up to the top, I am sure you are right, Thanks for the encouragement!

Posted by: Gary H. (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 25, 2004 07:23PM

Gina,

I think everything Jeff stated to you is very true. J & J might be a good starting point, however you may not find the position challenging enough down the road. Of course, you can cross that bridge when you get there. They hire clean cut, professional people 2nd or 3rd job out of college. I think they might like your background. You have to be relatively good to get a job with J & J. You DO NOT have to be a top salesperson to keep the job. Their name sells their products.

You would find a job with an orthopaedic distributor much more challenging. That is selling total joints Hip/Knee or spinal fixation. This is MUCH MUCH MUCH more diificult then J & J (almost any division). You would find it more challenging also. This is higher risk, greater reward.
J & J is more secure, NO risk, and a ceiling on your income.

Posted by: jim (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2004 03:28PM

Do you work for Mary Kay????? If so,I don't think that is going to be a strong selling point either. Just a thought

Date: October 26, 2004 04:22PM

Gina,

Jim has a very good point. Whether your multi - level marketing conmpany be Mary Kay, Amway etc., DO NOT mention on an interview.

It is a turnoff in corporate America. Why!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because everyone knows that many of the MLM's of today have a cult like mentality. No one cares about how well you built your downline or sidelines. Also, nobody will be impressed with your upline that got you involved.

Date: October 29, 2004 11:10AM

No I was not involved in a cult! Hah! Actually I had to think outside the box to get proven sales experience. As a graduate student on full scholarship and teaching assignment and doing research part time, I was under a contract that did not allow me the opportunity to take outside employment. I wanted to start my own business, to show entrepeneurial spirit, but decided that to start from scratch would take quite a while and I would not probably not get "proven" sales experience very quickly. I have always wanted to help people, so I decided to start my own fund-raising business to help low-income mothers send their children to after-school sports practice. I spent my weekends in the most poverty stricken areas in miami and offered women most with 3, 4 kids, uneducated unmarried and struggling to get $30 to enroll their child on the sports team, the opportunity to pay for uniforms, shoes, pom-poms you name it. So It was for a worthy cause, I understand the stigma associated with MLM companies, but I feel that I was able to make a difference in the community and also get sales experience - let me know if I can still mention this in an interview.

Posted by: Jim (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:39PM

This sounds like it could be impressive to a potential company. They love the idea of employees doing good deeds in their communities. It also shows drive and determination to get something done. Most people spend their work time lolly gagging around in an attempt to "look busy." You acually did something productive on "personal" time. You should be commended. However, I don't know if this actually qualifies as "sales" experience, certainly not by any traditional definition. It may show initiative or a go getter attitude but how exactly did you achieve this. Were you contacting businesses and putting together proposals or presentations? Give us some more info. Nevertheless, I personally find it admirable and impressive and you can probably teach someone sales techniques, but you can't teach that! The question you will run into is whether a medical sales company will take a chance on a person with limited to moderate sales experience when there are so many proven and seasoned sales reps available.

Date: October 29, 2004 04:57PM

Gina,

What you did, is very impressive. I think you can mention everything you stated in a job interview.

You just need to come up with a story of how your fundraising background will be a benefit to your future employer. I am confident you can do this. I still think J & J would be be a good company to get your foot in the door.

Good Luck

Date: October 30, 2004 04:43PM

Thank you for the feedback - yes I did have to do alot of presentations. And yes, I would love to explain to you how I think my fundraiser sales gives me a great background to succeed in pharma/med sales!! When I first started, I just opened the phone book and cold called everyone who I thought would need a fundraiser sports teams, churches, schools, dance studios etc..After a few hits and misses I I decided to specialize and narrow it down to sports and I usually spoke to coaches first, and they were always overloaded, underpaid busy and not interested in giving themselves more responsibility or dealing with me (sound familiar?). They always tried to tell me that the mothers were not going to be interested - So I had to convince the coaches to let me handle everything, it would be no extra work for them, that I would set up a meeting with the parents - give a presentation about how the fund-raisers work, give a timeline, display the products, show them all the competitors fundraisers and why mine was better, going to make them more money etc..- and allow the moms to decide. I was really selling the "service" and "idea" as much as the "product". Once the team agreed, I would then do another presentation to the kids to get everyone motivated and pumped up. I also set up a newsletter to inform parents on the products, give them tips on how to sell more products, and recognize the top sellers. I then invested time into calling and visiting local business owners and asking them to donate prizes to the top competitors as free/inexpensive advertisement for their shops, I swear all this work was all because I needed an excuse to meet people and was racking my brain on how I could get sales experience and prove myself outside the academic arena as quickly as possible without jepordizing my rent money- I was under strict contract not to take outside employment. So in my mind the pharm/med sale is sort of similar - not that I have experience but from what I have heard you convice the nurses (In my case - coach) to let you see the doc (in my case moms), by setting up the lunch meeting (in my case after practice) then give a dynamite and informative presentation about how this drug (fundraiser) is better than the other companies drug (fund-raiser) and delve into how this drug (fundraiser) is going to solve/cure the "problem" - disease (lack of money) and make the doc (moms) lots of money and finish by giving out free samples all while maintaining relationships with coaches and mothers and keep everyone motivated. None of my teams did a fundraiser just once - all of them did one every month or continually because they were successful and profitable . So my docs are similar to the moms - they are the ones who are doing the selling aka "prescribing" so I think it has many similarities and if I can do it in cracktown miami with no one to train me/manage me or give me any ideas - or incentives or resources. I think I can do very well in pharma or med device - lord with all the resources they have! Maybe I'm crazy? With my fundraising biz, I had a few learning experiences along the way, but I was sure to write everything I learned down and afterwards I wrote up all the details into a little workbook for new reps interested in starting their fundraising biz - including 100 places that need fundraisers, step by step presentation tips, how to close the deal, following up, etc... I didnt get paid for this aspect or charge anyone for it- it was just to help other reps and let them in on alot of little things I wished I would have know to make my life easier etc..(and i like to write can you tell?) Again, I would now love to take this desire and dedicated it to a top pharm or med device company. I justlanded a presentation to a meeting of 15 head coaches who coach over 1,000 participants across south florida -and am handing it over to someone else, need to dedicate all my time to job search. I went on an interview this week with a head-hunter. he set me with an iterview with a small pharm distributor local company and I turned it down. He was mad, like "this is a stepping stone -you need this to get to the big companies", you don't have previous experience but I hate to think like that - I think I should be as picky as if I were getting "married" to this company - I will be spending so much time and effort at work- and it will seriously affect my quality of life! I want the best, my contract comes up for renewal in nov. and I am ready to get out of the ph.d. program/fundraising/teaching and go full time into sales that will combine all these talents into one rewarding career. If it takes me an extra 3 months to find a great company, it will be worth it. Thank you again for the J&J tip, and reading my messages. If anyone knows of a contact or person I could speak with - send it my way!!! Gina 757-560-1455. My apologies if anyone is absolutely insulted that I compared fundraising to pharm sales, maybe a good laugh - but I had to try!

Date: October 30, 2004 05:26PM

I am not a headhunter. I think you did the right thing by turning down offer from local pharma distributor. You DO NOT need that as a stepping stone. The headhunter was just looking for a quick commission. Your story will need to be greatly shortened, however you have the right idea.

Check out this company: Restorative Care of America
www.rcai.com
ask for Tim Norton or Connie Wasserman
try to get an interview

Posted by: Gary H (Host IP Logged)
Date: October 30, 2004 05:38PM

Gina,

Contact Royce Medical Copmpany
www.roycemedical.com 1-800-521-0601
ask for Brad Haines

try to get an in person interview

Posted by: Jeff (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 01, 2004 10:30AM

.....measured doses

Posted by: Jeff R Rules! (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2004 09:36PM

Jeff:

Great Post!

I thought you only helped X-Military!

Hope all is well!

Eric L

Posted by: Michael Hoffman (Host IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2004 02:24PM

Gina:

Interesting story here.

You stated:

"I currently reside in Miami, Fl, am 24, single and have a polished, fit, professional look. I am ready to relocate immediately and climb the ladder. A true saleswoman I would prefer a no-cap commission based career over salary security. I am ready to do what it takes, if it means being on call 24-hours or traveling 100% of the time."

We prefer people to recruit and train who do not have to be untrained from prior habits. If you would like to get started in healthcare services sales without having to leave Miami, and only local travel (Broward-Dade County territory) calling on primary care physicians contact Ethan Demitchell 561-848-7111. We are located in West Palm area and are looking to train someone for the territory you are in who is energetic dynamic and understands physiology so they will be a fast ramp-up. There is no cap on the commissions, of course.

I am intrigued by your situation.

Mike H, VP/COO
Signet Diagnostic Corp
1-888-NOW-LEAP