Getting Started in Medical Sales 

Welcome to the HSMN Message Boards!
Please refrain from posting offensive messages as well as commercial advertising, solicitation and recruiting - such messages will be deleted by the forum moderators. Note: Posting a new thread requires HSMN membership; non-members may post replies to the original poster (OP) on existing threads.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicLog In
medical device sales
Posted by: William (Host IP Logged)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:49PM

I live in Birmingham, Alabama and am interested in pursuing a career in medical device sales. I do not want to relocate. Birmingham has a strong medical community and I need advice on how to break in.

Thanks

Re: medical device sales
Posted by: Brian (Host IP Logged)
Date: January 19, 2008 10:03PM

William, what's your work background?

Date: January 23, 2008 05:03PM

I have over 15 years of succesful B2B sales experience selling industrial products. I know how to build and maintain lasting relationships with my customers and am eager to break into orthopedic sales. I have been to a couple of cases with a plate company to learn more about O/R room protocal and procedures.

The key for me is to get a position selling into the hospitals that can help me gain experience and get product knowledge. I understant that I have an uphill battle but am determined to break into the industry.

Any advice?

William

Date: January 23, 2008 06:21PM

Will- I know this is going to sound like I'm preaching to you, esp. because I'm only 26, no sales experience, and 2 months from seperating from the Marine Corps. So far, I've tried EVERY METHOD to get into an interview and only one thing has worked so far.

You're probably just like me, saying, "If only I could get my foot in the door, my exprerience/achievements/charisma/etc. would blow them away!"

I'm in the same situation as you with regards to geographic restrictions. Openings in Cincinnati are few and far between.

I've tried Military-specific 3rd Party Recruiters, flashy applications with attention gaining phrases, job boards, Forums, yada yada yada...

The only thing that has got me in the door so far is, you guessed it, networking.

This is a huge industry, and chances are, some group that you have been apart of since High School has someone who knows someone that can get you in front of a DM. Each item in the following list has yielded me at least one person that is now in this business: High School, College, USMC, Church, Professional Organizations(MOAA), Civic Organization (Rotary), and Relatives.

Out of the 7 previous organizations, I've contacted 13 people that are, or have put me in touch with, someone between Territory Rep and DM for a company. Out of those 13, (8) companies still don't have open positions in Cincinnati. Out of the 5 remaining, (2) positions are too senior for me.

That left me with 3 companies, Ethicon, Inc; Stryker; and Synthes, for which I have interviews for TA positions (JnJ position is not on their job board so no one try to call me on that!). Sheer numbers seems to be the way to go on this one.

That being said, I still spend every waking moment looking for openings in the Top 30 companies (http://www.mpo-mag.com/articles/2006/07/top-medical-device-companies-report). Now that I have networked into almost half of them, if something comes up, I'm calling my acquaintances right away.

William, I hope this helps. Of course, I don't even have a job yet...just that foot in the door we were talking about. If not, feel free to verbally lash me for telling you everything you already know! 4 more paychecks until it's GO TIME...Hopefully I kill those interviews.

Brian

Date: January 24, 2008 10:30AM

I hear what you are saying. I have contacted a bunch of friends and acquaintances that are in medical device sales and like you it is still hard getting interviews. That has gotten me a couple of discussions with a few companies and I actually went to a couple of orthopedic cases in the O/R and learned more about product and procedures. It is still extremely challenging getting anyone to pull the trigger on someone that doesn't have experience.

It has been helpful reading message boards and getting on different websights such as Medzilla and Medreps and post my resume. I have had very little response from sending my resume through these channels but still send my resume out on these because I don't know where my opportunity will come frome.

I think the whole process has been a helpful way of learning more about the industry and has forced me to learn about not only who i might interview with but also their competitors and what they do. I have learned so much by just researching the different companies and products that they offer. Like you mentioned the business as a whole is huge. I have taken a very broad approach and will begin to focus on a more specific sector as I get estsablished or with a company that is in a certain field.

Good luck in your searches and I will be in touch if I hear anything up your way.

Let me know if you are finding success?

Thanks!! William

Date: January 24, 2008 06:44PM

Bo- Sounds like we are right about in the same place! I absolutely agree about how this process, by default, teaches you about the differences in markets, companies, and products. Definitely has made me more prepared for upcoming interviews.

Keep me posted and GL,

Brian

Posted by: sns (Host IP Logged)
Date: January 26, 2008 05:30PM

Brian,

Hoorah! I just left the Navy last year. I interviewed with 7 med device jobs. 5 said yes, I decided to go with Ethicon Endo. It has been great so far. Started out as TA then got promoted to territory rep. I got super lucky, I wanted socal and picked up LA. I moved to Hollywood and life is fantastic. Good luck out there.

With all that said, in the interviews I was "open" to location. Do you have to stay in Cinci? If so, that is why you are missing ops. You have to wait for someone to get fired, promoted, quit in Cincinnati! I know all the reps in that area from my company and none of them are leaving soon. The one there now was in my training class and before her the guy was there for 30yrs. If you are seriously hungry to get in the door you have the right attitude...but your actions don't say that. If you say "I have to be here in (enter city)" you are limited. So knowing you are in the corps I can tell you with motivation and the right op you can double and triple your pay now. Come on man...if my wife can move her business you can do it. If the stars align you will get your pref...if not pursue another city.

I know some divisions that are hiring out west...how motivated are you?

Posted by: Michael (Host IP Logged)
Date: January 30, 2008 10:26PM

I would love to hear about those openings as I am trying to relocate to San Francisco and I am originally from California with my work experience being entirely in the L.A. market. I am finishing up my MBA and have a Biology undergrad degree along with 4 years of B2B and pharma experience (2 of each). If you could let me know anything I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
Mike

CA opportunities
Posted by: Kelly Walton (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 03, 2008 08:31AM

Hi Mike,
Send your resume over - my company handles all of the Abbott sales positions and we often have openings in that area, I'll make sure you are properly placed into our tracking system if there isn't anything for now you can be "found" if something opens up.

Re: CA opportunities
Date: February 07, 2008 06:30PM

Would it be wise to try and get a position with a company that sell commodity items to the hospital like Covidien Kendall or Bard Medical? Would that be a good way to break into the market? Does anyone know what they start out making? Do they have local reps or are their distributors?

Thanks!! William

CO opportunities
Posted by: Eric Berman (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2008 01:52PM

Hi Kelly, I saw your response on this message board and thought I would reach out to you. I am looking for a Medical Device Sales position in the Colorado area, but of course am willing to travel to cover multiple territories.

I have a 4 year proven track record of sales success in both the Information Technology and Financial sectors. I have advanced know-how of negotiating with gatekeepers and decision makers and an unprecedented sales record of continuously exceeding quotas.

If you can help me out in anyway I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Eric Berman

Re: CO opportunities
Posted by: zman (Host IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 07:25AM

Trying to get into lab/madical sales I have some b2b experience (straight commision) then I went into pharma sales, I have a degree in organic chemistry and 4 years of R&D drug design and synthesis.
I'm in the Buffalo NY area.

Posted by: Lisa (Host IP Logged)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:06AM

Although I agree that personal networking through prior affiliations is a fantastic way to go, you might also consider checking out LinkedIn.com

It's an on-line networking site for professionals. You can post your profile (experience, what sorts of contacts such as "career opportunities" you are interested in) and start growing your network thru contacts: medical device recruiters, med device reps, even hiring managers. It's a great way to find people and be found. If you are specifically interested in medical device sales, I would suggest categorizing your industry as such.

No, I don't work for Linked-In, but I've seen it grow tremendously over the past couple of years.

Here's my profile:
www[dot]linkedin[dot]com/in/lisamcglinvatecsalesrecruiter
Feel free to link to me.

Posted by: zman (Host IP Logged)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:52AM

Thank Lisa I will email you again.

Posted by: jms (Host IP Logged)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:48AM

Mike

I did read your message about trying to relocate to SF. Currently I am working for a medical manufacturer that sells products into the O.R. and I believe that our company is looking for a candidate in SF area (Northern CA.) If you want, you can send me an e-mail to discuss the opportunity and phone number. I am not a recruiter and I try to help others with tips or opportunities of breaking into the industry, since I have been on that side of the fence and know how it feels. I have been in the medical sales for 13yrs worked for several large companies and it has been an amazing ride. If you are interested respond back, if not best of luck to you.

Re: CA opportunities
Posted by: Chris (Host IP Logged)
Date: July 12, 2008 08:59PM

Where can I send my resume for the positions?I have ten years pharma sales experience with many sales awards.

Posted by: MUHAMMAD Malik akhtar (Host IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2010 05:47AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are one of the largest and oldest manufacturers and exporters of all kinds of SURGICAL, DENTAL, VETERINARY, BEAUTY, and ORTHOPEDIC Instruments. We manufacture our all these instruments according to international stadard and under the application of ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and CE MARKED.

We wish business with your company. Very proudly we inform, that our company can supply you any of our above described instruments according to your requirements, with best quality and at Ecnomical Prices. Your visit to our new website www.east-west-ind.com will be highly appreciated.

If you require any kind of further information, please contact us without any hesitation. We are waiting for your immediate response

BEST REGARD

EXPORT DEPARTMENT

M.Malik. Akhtar

East West Industries

Model Town,

Ugoki Sialkot-Pakistan

Tele: 0092-52-3010928

Fax: 0092-52-3240716

web: www.east-west-ind.com

E-mail: info@east-west-ind.com

Posted by: Jeff Gaffney (Host IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2010 08:02AM

My suggestion to those trying to get into Med Device sales is to try Medreps[DOT]com. It has a subscription cost but 90% of the available jobs are posted here and they are legit opportunities not just recruiters collecting resumes. With B2B experience and a 4 year degree, it would be up to how you handle your interview to get the position. there are many Territory assistant positions that look for just this experience. Good luck and hope you get into the elite of medical sales arena.